Founded as the county seat of Haralson County in 1856 and named in honor of President James Buchanan, the city of Buchanan’s textile heritage began with Cluett, Peabody, and Company. In 1947, Cluett, Peabody and Company opened a shirt manufacturing facility in Buchanan, producing Arrow Shirts. As part of the Southern division of Cluett, Peabody & Co. Inc., the finished goods produced at the Buchanan facility were shipped to the Atlanta plant. The Arrow plant employed many of the citizens of Buchanan and Haralson County until it closed in the early 1990s due to increased foreign competition.
What can you do?
- Historic Haralson County Courthouse — Located in downtown Buchanan and built in 1891. It is one of the oldest working courthouses in Georgia, and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
- Little Creek One Room Schoolhouse — In existence since 1871, it is the last one room schoolhouse left in Haralson County, and one of the few in the state. The building was operational until 1932.