A community formed by the gold rush but built by textiles manufacturing.
The seat of Paulding County, Dallas, began as a gold rush town. By 1882, the Southern and Seaboard Railroads brought economic opportunity to the area and the textile industry became the next step in community growth. In 1900, Dallas Cotton Mill opened on the east side of Main Street. Adding an additional 2,000 spindles, the mill workforce doubled by 1905 to about 200 workers. The growth of employment at the mill necessitated the building of employee homes. The mill also sponsored a baseball team and other recreational facilities for the mill employees. The cotton mill closed in 1948.
Established and incorporated in 1905, Dallas Hosiery Mill began producing “ladies’ 176 needle carded cotton hosiery and men’s half hose.” Operating 141 knitting, 25 ribbing, 30 looping, and 6 sewing machines and a dying and finishing room, the mill prospered through the decade. In 1920, officials of the Douglasville Hosiery Mill purchased controlling interest of the mill to use as an adjunct mill to their mill in Douglasville, Georgia.
In 1950, Whitfield Spinning purchased the old Dallas Cotton Mill to manufacture tobacco cloth. The mill village homes were sold to private individuals many of whom worked at Whitfield Spinning. In 1975, EAM Incorporated purchased Whitfield Spinning and started spinning yarn and making scatter rugs. Today EMA Inc. facilities still stands, along with Whitfield Spinning and Dallas Hosiery Mill villages.
Back to | Central Region |