The History of the Mandeville Mansion
The large, currently yellow and purple, Victorian-style historic home that stands in Carrollton, Georgia is known as the Mandeville Mansion or the Maple Street Mansion. This home was built around 1890 for the family of Leroy Clifton Mandeville, who was born in 1851.
Post World War II Development in Carroll County’s Textile Trades
The Textile industry continued to dominate Carroll County’s economy after the Second World War. In 1952, over half of Carrollton’s industrial employees worked in eleven textile plants, earning recognition by the Cotton Manufacturers Association of Georgia as “A Pattern City for Progressive Georgia.”
Hosiery Mills Come South
In the early twentieth century, hosiery mills began to sprout up in communities throughout the west Georgia piedmont, especially in towns located along the railroad lines. With good access to freight trains, Carroll County had the largest number of hosiery mills in Georgia in 1935, including three in Villa Rica and three in Carrollton.