Experience the history of a small cotton community that supported a large textile industry.
Incorporated in 1890, Turin, a rural community in Coweta County, was centered around the railroad depot. Among west Georgia’s cotton transport communities, Turin benefited from its proximity to major roads and expanding rail lines. Small communities like Turin were great areas for local merchants and agents to establish cotton warehouses and platforms for storing incoming and outgoing shipments of cotton. Shell’s Cotton Warehouse in Turin is one example of the important role these small communities played in the textile industry.
Charter Trail Members
- Coweta County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Coweta County Genealogical Society
- Newnan-Coweta Chamber of Commerce
- Newnan-Coweta Historical Society
Resources to Explore
Click on the following links to learn more about this region.
- Facts for Kids
- Digital Library of Georgia
- Georgia Archives Virtual Vault
- Georgia Historical Society
- Coweta County, New Georgia Encyclopedia
Back to Community List